Updated: Sep 27, 2020
There are so many great things to say about plant-based meals. Not only are they good for our health, but they also benefit animals and the environment; win/win! Here are some great reasons why you should be leaving animal products off your plate more often:
1. Disease fighting - There is no doubt that a diet high in plant foods is beneficial to our health. Numerous studies have shown that those who follow vegetarian and vegan diets greatly reduce their risk of heart related diseases and cancer. 
2. Fiberful - Instead of the phrase “where do you get your protein” it should be “where do you get your fiber”. Roughly 95% (yes, you read that right) of Americans do not get the minimum 25 grams of recommended fiber a day. Fiber is not only important for digestion and satiety, but it also lowers cholesterol levels and can help with achieving a healthy weight. And did you know that fiber is only found in the plant kingdom? #win
3. Abundant in protein - Unlike fiber, ~97% of Americans are getting more than enough protein (vegans included). Contrary to popular belief, the plant kingdom is full of protein. Everything from broccoli and spinach to beans and tofu contain protein and those lovely amino acids. Plus this protein is cholesterol free and contains that beneficial fiber.
4. Low carbon footprint - Switching to plant-based products can drastically cut your carbon footprint; by more than half! It takes far less resources (land, water, and feed) to produce plant foods than it does to produce animals and their by-products (and not to mention it eliminates all the waste 💩). 
5. Naturally low in saturated fat - When you cut out animal products like meat and dairy, you drastically cut back on your consumption of saturated fats (aka bad fats). Saturated fats are linked to an increase in cardiovascular disease (#1 killer).
6. Cholesterol free - Like saturated fat, high levels of cholesterol are also linked to cardiovascular disease. Plant-based foods are naturally cholesterol free, making them great for your heart!
7. Nutrient dense - By reducing your animal product intake, you’ll naturally be increasing your plant consumption which are high in antioxidants, micronutrients and phytochemicals.
8. Anti-inflammatory - Like previously stated, plant-based meals are chock full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Meat (particularly processed meats) and dairy are pro-inflammatory. Inflammation underlies many chronic conditions and diseases so it might be wise to switch to plant alternatives.
9. Compassionate - While there are people that follow plant based diets for the health benefits, eating this way also benefits the animals! By leaving animals off your plate, you’re also not contributing to animal suffering. 💕
10. Anything but boring - Most people think that vegans only eat salads, and that couldn't be further from the truth. Potatoes, beans, pasta, bread; they’re all apart of the plant kingdom! Cooking plant-based meals allows you to be creative in the kitchen and experiment with all the foods nature has to offer.